The origins of the Castle of the Legnica-Brzeg Piasts in Chojnów can be traced in the sources, along with the names of the first castellans: Bronisław (1292) and Otto (1293). Any doubts about the construction of the building are finally dispelled by a document issued by John of Bohemia in 1329, in which the castle was mentioned directly. Erected on the border of the Duchy of Legnica and Głogów, it could have served defensive functions. It probably also ensured the safety of merchants traveling from the German Empire to Ruthenia along the route known as the Via Regia or the Royal Highway (Hohe Straße / Via Regia), while securing the ducal finances. As early as in the 14th century, the castle was mentioned as a dower of the Piast dynasty of Legnica. In 1428, during the Hussite wars, it was captured, plundered and burned; just like the whole city. In the mid-15th century, Henryk X chojnowski resided here, ruling the small principality of Chojnów. In the years 1546-1547, thanks to Frederick III of Legnica, the castle was thoroughly rebuilt in the Renaissance style. The modernization was to be carried out by the Italian architect of the Legnica-Brzeg Piasts, Franciszek Paar. The project commemorates the portal with the busts of Frederick III and his wife Catherine of Mecklenburg. In the years 1594 - 1616 the castle became a dower again; this time its resident was Princess Anna Wirtemberska, widow of Frederick IV. In the first half of the 18th century, there was a chapel for Catholics. The castle has been repeatedly destroyed by fire throughout its history. After one of the most destructive fires in 1767, it was decided to dismantle the south-east wing (which constituted about half of the building), and to lower the remaining part of the building by one storey. The castle has survived in this form to our times. The former residence of the Piasts served various functions in the 19th century. Depending on the needs, it became a field hospital - during the Napoleonic campaign (1813) and the Austro-Prussian war (1866), a school, a town court or the seat of the municipal administration. The turning point turned out to be 1933, when the castle was turned into a museum (functioning in the city from 1908 in the Weavers' Tower). The Poles settled in these lands reactivated the museum on January 25, 1959. The former Castle of the Legnica-Brzeg Piasts remains its seat to this day.